Monday, June 23, 2008

Trek


I had the opportunity to go on trek with my wards youth conference. It was a very neat experience. I guess I didn't really know the whole story of the handcart companies and what the circumstance was that brought them to Utah. I've heard some stories through out the years but never the details like I did this weekend. We were able to go and learn about the Willie and Martin handcart companies and visit the sites where they traveled. The thing that I think got me the most is their example of faith. They accepted the call to Zion with no questions asked and had faith that the Lord would help and bless them. I would like to read the book by Gerald N. Lund called "Fire in the Covenant" I guess it takes a fictional family through the whole immigration of the saints and the trials they had being in the handcart companies. Anyway, if any of you get the chance to go on trek do it. It was worth it.

8 comments:

Moira said...

Emily...I'm so proud of you. And I'm glad that it was a neat experience for you. What a wonderful memory to have.

Wendy said...

I got to go do a trek when I was younger and it was an amazing experience. I even got to shoot a rifle. It is always awesome to make memories & learn something valuable in the process.

Alifinale said...

That sounds like such a cool experience. I wish I could go...stupid pregnancy is keeping me from doing all the fun stuff. Thanks for sharing about your trek.

Brittany said...

Emily, I'm so excited to know you have a blog--this is such a good way to keep in touch! Your kids are growing up and are as cute as ever. We probably won't make it to Utah until Thanksgiving/Christmas time, especially with such expensive flights. But when we're there, we'd love to have a cousin dinner--it's been way too long since we've seen everyone.

Love from the East coast!
Brit

Gina Taylor said...

What an awesome experience. I have never done anything like that before. Wow!

Moira said...

Alright Emily.....waiting on the call for Kangaroo Zoo.

Kara said...

What a great experience! I would love to go sometime, I think it would help me appreciate all that the pioneers went through as well. Great memories for you!

Kara

Tara said...

Emily
What a great experience. I have actually never been on a trek. I would love to go someday.
Thank you for letting me be a part of your blog. I love being able to keep up with friends!
My blog address is smiletufftb.blogspot.com
Thanks again
Tara