
I remember as a kid summer was all about playing outside all day long with friends and family. We would play hide-and-go-seek, sardines, tv tag, you name it we played it. If it wasn't a game we were playing it was exploring the field behind our house or riding our bikes to the school playground. I also loved the swimming pool (thats a whole other list of games)we would play in the pool for hours. So now I have my kids and they have been out of school for maybe 2 weeks and all they want to do is watch tv or play video games or play inside with toys. I took my kids to the park a couple of days ago, they were with their cousins and about an hour into being there they were bored I hate those two little words "I'm bored". I want so say "Bored? I'll give you something to do!" and I can think of a million chores that I can give them to do at home but at the park I was trying to tell them about all the fun games I used to play as a kid and the were like "huh?" So what do you do in the summer time when your kids say "I'm bored"?
7 comments:
See, I have the opposite problem. My kids would be outside all day if I let them. We are doing the hero thing, as you already know. Then we are checking out the literacy center to do some volunteer work. I'm looking into what the rules are for kids sitting through a court room session. You can do Water parties....craft days....nature day (painting pots and planting a flower that they picked out)
Endless possibilities. My kids have to earn outings. So if they have been good at doing their chores etc..then we go on a trip. Living aquarium is a favorite of theirs.
Hope that helps.
Check out this site...sometimes she has great ideas for the younger kids. Plus some fun recipes.
www.makeandtakes.com/
Oh I love the park and want it to last all day long. I love the reminiscing of games you used to play - too bad I was too little to play them with you most of the time. Hopefully they will figure out the joys of being outside and enjoying the sunshine. My friend, Steph had a great idea last year where she did like themes each week so that activities and outings were based on the theme - I will try to find out more.
Hmmm good luck with that. All I know is that I think it sucks how kids these days rely so much on video games and tv. I did the same as you did where we would go out and play night games and it was so fun. Even during the day we just had imaginations and would play in the field or whatever. What do kids do these days? I bet I will be asking the same question when my kids get a little bigger. Jot down some good ideas for me!
My kids are the same way!! Isaac (my 5 yr old) is always asking me, when are we going home? I know he just wants to get on the computer to play whatever meaningless game has caught his interest for the moment! My kids do love swimming though! We also got some fun "water" activities for the backyard, ie, different fun pools, fun sprinklers for the kids to run around in since we don't have a real swimming pool. They love that too! I like to take them to the library, kids museum, that kind of stuff too. My kids like the park but do get kinda bored there, too, especially since its so hot!! I'm sure you can google things to do in your area as well. We actually had to do a "summer schedule" and some goals for the kids so that they could tell me some things that sound fun for them, and the schedule so that I could limit their TV time. My kids get OBSESSED with TV. Especially my 2 and 5 year olds. Anyhow, good luck!!
Kara
Kara
Great job Em. with the blog! I have entered the blogging world too! I found you on Wendy's it looks great! Em. Hansen
I just can't wait for school to start! I too am so sick of those little words. I love your blog whoever set it up gets props! Love ya
Post a Comment